GAFFNEY, S.C. -- Belmont Abbey claimed its second straight Conference Carolinas division title, avenging an earlier season loss with a thrilling 3-2 (25-22, 18-25, 25-18, 22-25, 15-9) victory over Limestone Friday night at the Timkin Center. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 18-12 overall and 13-2 in league play. Limestone falls to 15-10, 11-4.
Cassidy Bonito posted her eighth triple-double of the season with 14 kills, 46 assists and 10 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy hit .370 in the contest, tying her career high with 24 kills. She also added 15 digs.
- Carie Jane Valentine tallied nine kills with Andie Meredith and Lanie Healey chipping in eight and seven kills, respectively.
- Hailey Ryan led the defensive effort with 22 digs, plus had eight assists. Paige Rawlins tallied 20 digs with Caitlyn Faber also reaching double figures at 10.
- Belmont Abbey took the opening set 25-22, breaking a 21-21 tie with back-to-back points, then answering a Limestone point with the final two. The set featured 10 ties and three lead changes.
- Limestone rallied to even the match at a set apiece with a 25-18 win in the second.
- The third set went to the Crusaders, 25-18, after a 7-0 run stretched a 10-8 lead to 17-8.
- Similar to the team's first meeting, the Saints forced a deciding set with a 25-22 victory in the fourth.
- In the decider, The Abbey trailed 6-5, but scored three straight points. After a service error, the Crusaders gained four in a row to make the score 12-7.
- Belmont Abbey wraps up the regular season with a trip to Converse on Saturday.
- With a win, the Crusaders would clinch the No. 1 overall seed and be in line to host the entire Conference Carolinas tournament next week. They have already clinched a home quarterfinal on Tuesday.