BELMONT, N.C. -- Mackenzie Chrapliwy tallied 20 kills and a career-high 26 digs and Cassidy Bonito added her second triple-double in as many outings, leading Belmont Abbey to a thrilling 3-2 (25-19, 23-25, 25-19, 20-25, 15-12) victory over King Friday night in Conference Carolinas women's volleyball action. The match served as the home and league opener for the Crusaders, who move to 1-9, 1-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bonito registered 10 kills, 44 assists and 13 digs to follow up her first career triple-double at Augusta on Tuesday night.
- Chrapliwy's double-double was her second of the season.
- Carie Jane Valentine added 10 kills, her highest total of the season.
- Caitlyn Faber and Paige Rawlins added to the defensive effort with 14 and 13 digs, respectively.
- In the deciding fifth set, The Abbey trailed 9-5 but closed to with two after a pair of kills. After the Tornado answered with back-to-back points to make the score 11-7, the Crusaders used a 4-0 run to even the set at 11-11. King (2-5, 0-1) took the lead once more at 12-11, but another four points in a row ended the match.
- Belmont Abbey continues its homestand with a tri-match tomorrow. The Crusaders face Lander at 2 and Winston Salem State at 6 with those two teams meeting in between.