BRISTOL, Tenn. -- Cassidy Bonito and Mackenzie Chrapliwy posted double-doubles Friday night as Belmont Abbey earned a 3-1 (25-23, 26-24, 19-25, 25-20) victory at King in Conference Carolinas women's volleyball action. With the victory, the Crusaders (19-9, 10-2) clinched a quarterfinal home game in the league tournament next month.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bonito finished just one kill shy of her third triple-double of the year with 33 assists, 16 digs and nine kills. Chrapliwy tallied 13 kills and 17 digs.
- Sarah Kenney led the defensive effort with 22 digs, while Leah Gunter added 16.
- Belmont Abbey had to rally in each of the first two sets. It trailed 22-19 in the opener, but scored five straight points to earn two set points. King saved the first before a Chrapliwy kills put the Crusaders up 1-0. In the second, the Tornado led 23-18 and had three set points before The Abbey closed on a 5-0 run.
- King (13-10, 5-5) was able to salvage the third set, breaking a 13-13 tie with four straight to surge ahead. It scored three in a row after The Abbey closed to 17-16 and also gained the final three points of the set.
- In the fourth, Belmont Abbey trailed early, but scored five straight points to break a 12-12 tie. King did not quit, tallying three in a row to close the gap to 24-23, but an attack error ended the match.
- King outhit Belmont Abbey .121 to .083 and had five more digs (96-91). Each team had nine blocks and five aces.
- The win was the 17th in the last 20 matches for the Crusaders.
- Belmont Abbey has a week off before its final road trip of the year. The Crusaders face Mount Olive and Barton on the road next Friday and Saturday.