BELMONT, N.C. -- Brianna Morgheim and Mackenzie Chrapliwy combined for 26 kills, but Belmont Abbey fell just short of knocking off its second Peach Belt Athletic Conference member this week Saturday night at the Wheeler Center. In an exciting match, Augusta earned a hard-fought 3-1 (27-25, 25-27, 25-18, 25-23) victory over the Crusaders at the Wheeler Center.
August improves to 17-4 overall, while Belmont Abbey drops to 14-9 with just its third loss in 15 matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morgheim totalled a team-high 14 kills and a .225 hitting percentage.
- Chrapliwy (12 kills and 16 digs) and Cassidy Bonito (40 assists and 18 digs) registered double-doubles for the Crusaders.
- Three other players topped double figures in digs, led by Sarah Kenney with 23. Hailey Ryan had 14, while Leah Gunter added 11.
- The teams split the first two sets by identical 27-25 scores.
- In the third set, Augusta broke a 9-9 tie with a three in row to start a 7-3 run, then scored six of the last eight points from a 19-16 advantage.
- The Jaguars had an early 9-3 lead in the fourth, but The Abbey answered with four straight and later scored three straight to reverse a 12-10 deficit. A 3-0 Crusader run put them ahead 19-17, but Augusta answered with three straight and five of the next six and never trailed again.
- Belmont Abbey continues its final homestand of the season on Friday when it hosts Limestone. Before the action, seven seniors will be recognized for their accomplishments over the past four seasons.