FLORENCE, S.C. -- Mackenzie Chrapliwy tallied 16 kills and Andie Meredith added 13, leading Belmont Abbey to a 3-1 (22-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-15) women's volleyball victory at Francis Marion Tuesday night. The win was the eighth in the last nine matches for The Abbey, who improves to 13-8 overall. The Patriots from the Peach Belt Athletic Conference fall to 9-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cassidy Bonito fell just one kills shy of her second triple-double of the season. She had nine kills, 37 assists and 13 digs.
- Sarah Kenney led the defensive effort with 24 digs, while also dishing out eight assists.
- Hailey Ryan and Leah Gunter registered 12 digs each.
- Belmont Abbey had seven blocks as a team and hit .178. The Crusaders also had seven aces, led by Chrapliwy with four.
- Francis Marion trailed only once in the opening set (2-1), but led by a slim 14-13 midway through. The teams traded most of the remaining points, until the Crusaders against trailed by only one 23-22. However, the Patriots tallied the final two points of the set.
- The Abbey trailed 17-16 in the second when rattled off an 8-2 run, including five straight that made the score 23-18. The Patriots cut the gape to 24-22 before a Bonito kill.
- A similar scenario came in set three, when the Crusaders called a timeout trailing 18-16. Four straight points reversed the lead, then BAC broke a 22-22 tie with the final three points.
- The final set was tied at 5-5 when The Abbey scored three in a row. Francis Marion closed to within 12-10 and trailed 15-12 when a 6-0 run pushed the lead to nine. The Crusaders closed it out 25-15.
- Belmont Abbey steps out of conference play against with a pair of matches this weekend. The Crusaders travel to Pfeiffer on Friday night before hosting Augusta and Saturday.