HARRAGUT, Tenn. -- Mackenzie Chrapliwy led Belmont Abbey in kills twice on Friday, but the Crusaders dropped both matches at the SAC Regional Challenge. Carson-Newman posted a 3-1 (25-10, 25-20, 23-25, 25-18) victory in the opener, while host Lincoln Memorial earned a 3-0 (25-13, 25-17, 25-21) decision later in the day.
Setting the Stage
- The tournament format is the first of two to be played in as many weekends. After this action, the Crusaders will participate in the Union (Tenn.) Volleyball Classic.
- Belmont Abbey started slow, dropping the first five points and the first set against Carson-Newman. After a second-set loss, the Crusaders won the third set by a 25-23 tally. The Eagles closed out the match 25-18.
- Chrapliwy tallied 19 kills in 50 attempts, while Lydia Sale also reached double figures with 10.
- Cassidy Bonito posted a double-double with 34 assists and 13 assists. She also added seven kills with no errors, for a .500 hitting percentage.
- Three other players registered at least 10 kills -- Sarah Kenney (team-high 15), Hailey Ryan (11) and Chrapliwy (13).
- Belmont Abbey was outhit .318 to 172.
- Belmont Abbey hit just -.009 in the match, a season low. The hitting percentages with negative in the first two games before reaching .082 in the third set.
- Chrapliwy was the kills leader with eight. Kenney .had a team-best 20 digs, while Bonito was credited with 15 assists
- Tournament action continues at a second site as Belmont Abbey moves to Greeneville, Tenn. The Crusaders face Mars Hill and Tusculum on Saturday.
- Belmont Abbey now stands 1-3 on the season.