WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Julia Otranto placed third in the 800 meters and was a part of two scoring relay teams, highlighting Belmont Abbey's participation at the 2019 Conference Carolinas Women's Indoor Track and Field Championship, held Sunday at the JDL Fast Track.
Otranto ran a time of 2:26.11, just eight seconds off the pace of two Mount Olive runners. The senior teamed with Savannah Lamb, Keely Weber and Maya McQune to place eighth in the 4x400 and with Weber, McQune and Annie Hetzel for third in the Distance Medley Relay.
- Ashley Caldwell won her heat in the 60-meter dash.
- Cune and I'Nayja Hardy finished 1-2 in their section of the 200 meters.
- Like Otranto, Weber won her section of the 800.
- Annie and Grace Hetzel each won their respective sections of the mile to finish 12th and 14th, respectively.
- Lamb won her heat in the 60 Hurdles, posting a personal best of 10.03.
- Genevieve Hicken took eighth place in the pole vault, breaking her own school record by over two feet (2.82m/9'-3").
- The outdoor schedule begins March 16 at UNC Charlotte's 49ers Classic Invitational.