BRISTOL, Tenn. - Keyanna Spivey scored 16 points, but the Belmont Abbey women's basketball team opened the 2019-20 season with a 55-46 loss to Tusculum. The teams also started the Conference Carolinas/SAC Challenge, hosted by King University.
How it Happened
- After scoring seven points in the opening quarter, the Crusaders held the Pioneers to just four points in the second, making it a 16-14 game at halftime
- The Abbey exploded for 26 points in the third, highlighted by 11 from Spivey
- In the fourth, the Crusaders again played outstanding defense, holding Tusculum to just eight points in the period
- The Pioneers, however, wrapped up the 55-46 win
- Spivey finished the night with 16 points and five rebounds
- Allie Downing was also solid, finishing with nine points and 13 boards, while Hannah Roney dished out a game-high four assists
Belmont Abbey will finish out the Conference Carolinas/SAC Challenge tomorrow at 4 p.m. with a game against Mars Hill.