BELMONT, N.C. - Manuela Fungate scored 15 points, and Belmont Abbey shot 56.4% from the field in a 91-82 win over Converse College this evening. The Abbey improves to 12-5 on the season, including a 9-1 conference record. Converse dipped to 6-8 overall, and 1-8 against Conference Carolinas opponents.
How it Happened
- After the Crusaders scored their first basket five minutes into the game, an 8-0 run helped The Abbey gain a 10-8 advantage by the end of the quarter
- It only took BAC a minute into the second to score two quick 3-pointers
- The Abbey went on an 11-1 over a 2:32 span later in the period to take a strong 29-17 lead. Fungate scored each of the final four Crusader points of the quarter, and Belmont Abbey owned a 45-31 lead at halftime
- The Abbey defense held the Valkyries to no field goals over a three-minute span in the middle of the third. This gave BAC a 55-43 lead
- a 6-0 run by the Crusaders finished off the third, and The Abbey held a 63-48 lead heading into the final period
- Hannah Roney scored a quick 3 to begin the fourth. Later in the period, Belmont Abbey went on an 8-0 run in a span of 52 seconds to take a commanding 80-57 lead
- The Crusaders shot 7-for-10 from the field in the period, and finished the game with a 91-82 victory
- On the day, Fungate scored 15 points and eight rebounds. Allie Downing finished with 21 points, five rebounds, and six assists
- Maria Kuhlman added 16 points, including 4-for-7 from three-point range, and four assists. Roney scored seven points and handed out a game-high seven assists
Belmont Abbey will welcome King University to the Wheeler Center on Saturday, January 19 for a 5:30 p.m. contest.