TIGERVILLE, S.C. - Manuela Fungate scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds, leading the way to a Belmont Abbey 77-73 win at North Greenville University this evening. The victory puts The Abbey at 10-5 this season, and 7-1 in conference play. North Greenville moves to 4-11 overall, and 3-5 in Conference Carolinas play.
How it Happened
- Keyanna Spivey scored two baskets early, while Allie Downing scored six points in 43 seconds late in the quarter, giving Belmont Abbey a 22-19 lead when the quarter ended
- The Abbey defense stepped up in the second, giving up just one NGU field goal in the first 4:39 of the period
- Six more points by Downing in a 42-second span late in the quarter gave The Abbey a 10-point lead, and BAC held a 42-37 lead at halftime
- In the third, The Abbey again opened up with a defensive stand, allowing just three points in the first four minutes of the period
- Four quick points by Fungate built a 54-44 Abbey lead at the 4:41 mark. Irelynn Davisson closed out the quarter with a basket, and BAC held a 64-53 lead heading into the final period
- Fungate finished with 14 points and a game-high nine rebounds
- Downing scored 20 points and grabbed six rebounds. Spivey added 14 points and seven boards. Hannah Roney earned three steals and handed out a game-high five assists
Belmont Abbey will visit Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday, January 12 for a 2 p.m. contest.