BELMONT, N.C. -- Freshman Payton Whitley hit a pair of three-run homers -- one in each game -- leading Belmont Abbey to a sweep of Fayetteville State in softball action Tuesday afternoon. The Crusaders won the opener 8-2 then took the nightcap 8-0 in 5 innings.
- Whitley, Melissa Neyhouse and Elena Duran each had two hits in the opener.
- Belmont Abbey jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first inning. The first two batters reached before a fielder's choice-error and a wild pitch made the score 2-0. Whitley followed with a blast to center field, her third of the season.
- The Crusaders added three in the third on an RBI single by Taylor Lane and a two-run double by Melissa Neyhouse.
- Annabeth Watkins (4-1) threw a two-hitter. She was replaced in the circle for the top of the fifth, but came back in relief one out later. Overall, Watkins, walked one and struck out six in 6.2 innings pitched.
- Neyhouse and Whitley also posted multiple-hit games in the nightcap.
- Whitley's RBI double in the second provided the game's first run. She came around to score on an RBI groundout by Katie Allison.
- Neyhouse and Claire Doyle singled to start the third before Whitley's second round-tripper of the day.
- The Crusaders added three unearned runs in the fourth to end the contest after five. Lane and Allison both had RBI singles in the inning.
- Ivorie Maltby threw the complete-game shutout. She struck out four, while scattering five hits.
- Belmont Abbey (6-2) travels to Georgia College for a non-conference doubleheader on Saturday.