-BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell tallied 17 kills, but sixth-seeded North Greenville hit .344 as a team to earn a 3-1 (19-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-22) victory over No. 3 Belmont Abbey in the quarterfinal round of the 2019 Conference Carolinas Men's Volleyball Tournament. The outcome sends NGU to a date with No. 2 King on Wednesday, while the Crusaders end the season with a 15-11 record.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maxwell was the only player for Belmont Abbey to reach double figures in kills. He added a team-high six aces and three digs.
- Brennan Davis tallied 31 assists, four digs and four block assists, while Andrew Kohut and Daniel Cerqua tied for the team lead in digs with seven.
- As a team, Belmont Abbey recorded 15 aces, its season-best.
- Aaron Campbell led NGU with 17 kills and a .625 hitting percentage, while Jackson Gilbert added 16 kills.
- Belmont Abbey broke open a close opening set with four straight points that pushed a 17-16 lead to 21-16. From there, three more kills and a set-ending ace by Maxwell gave The Abbey a 1-0 lead.
- In the second set, North Greenville broke a 16-16 tie with back-to-back points to start a 4-1 run. After BAC cut the gap to 20-19, the visitors scored three in row en route to a 25-22 victory.
- A 5-1 run that started with four straight points turned a 15-13 Abbey lead into an 18-16 NGU advantage. Belmont Abbey tied the score at 18, 19 and 20 before North Greenville moved ahead with back-to-back points and later got consecutive kills from Campbell for another 25-22 set victory.
- North Greenville bolted out to an 18-12 lead in the fourth before The Abbey made a furious comeback. It used four straight points to close to 18-16, then answered two NGU points with a 3-0 run to tie the score at 22. However, North Greenville got two kills from Gilbert and an Abbey error to earn the upset.