BELMONT, N.C. -- Belmont Abbey wrapped up its 2019 men's volleyball regular season on Saturday, hitting .352 as a team to earn a 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-18) victory over Emmanuel in Conference Carolinas action. With their fourth straight victory, the Crusaders improve to 15-10, 10-6, while the Lions fall to 10-18, 5-11.
The Abbey clinched the No. 3 seed for the conference tournament before even taking the floor and will host No. 6 North Greenville at 6:30 p.m. next Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey finished the contest with 47 kills and just 15 errors in 91 attempts. The Crusaders hit .444 in the first set, .241 in the second and .371 in the finale. Emmanuel hit just .195 in the contest.
- Liam Maxwell led the attack with 15 kills (one error) and a .519 percentage. He also added a team-high five digs.
- Andrew Kohut was next in kills with seven, while also registering three blocks.
- Brian Long and Carter Eck tallied six kills each.
- Brennan Davis tallied 35 assists, four digs and three block assists.
- In the opening set, Belmont Abbey broke a 12-12 tie with four straight points. Emmanuel evened the match at 19-19, but the Crusaders answered with back-to-back points and held the Lions at bay. At 23-22, a kill by Long and an attack error ended the set.
- Emmanuel held an 11-9 lead early in the second, but another 4-0 run turned the margin around. The Crusaders went up 21-17, but the Lions closed again, cutting the gap to one at 23-22 and 24-23. Another attack error by EC put The Abbey up 2-0.
- Belmont Abbey led the entire third set after starting with consecutive points. The lead reached eight several times and the set closed at 25-18.
- A total of 16 Crusaders saw action in the contest.
- Belmont Abbey host North Greenville next Saturday in the quarterfinals.
- A win would send the Crusaders to a semifinal date with either King or Emmanuel.