BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell and Andrew Kohut each tallied 17 kills, but Belmont Abbey could not overtake a career night by Angelos Mandilaris in a 3-1 (25-22, 25-20, 23-25, 25-18) setback to Barton Friday night at the Wheeler Center. Mandilaris, the 2018 Offensive Player of the Year and defending Player of the Week in Conference Carolinas, tallied 32 kills against just three errors for a .674 hitting percentage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey hit .330 as a team, its third-highest total all season, while the Bulldogs proceeded at a .454 clip.
- Brennan Davis posted his third double-double of the season with 42 assists and 12 digs.
- Brian Long had seven kills and four blocks to go along with his team-high two aces.
- Belmont Abbey scored four straight points to reverse an 11-8 deficit in the first. The Bulldogs earned back-to-back kills to break a 16-16 tie and never trailed again in taking the first set 25-22.
- The difference in the second set was a 5-0 run that stretched an 11-10 Barton lead to 16-10. The Crusaders scored four of the next five points to trail 17-14, but could never get closer.
- The third set went to The Abbey after four straight points reversed a 9-8 deficit. The run continued to 7-2 to make the score 15-11 and the Crusaders never looked back.
- But in the fourth, Barton pulled away by scoring seven of 10 points after a kill by Kohut cut the lead to 9-8.
- Belmont Abbey enjoys a midseason break before returning to action March 11 against Lourdes.