BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell posted a match-high 15 kills, but they were not enough as North Greenville posted a close 3-0 (26-24, 25-22, 28-26) victory over Belmont Abbey in Conference Carolinas men's volleyball action. NGU improves to 8-5, 5-2, while The Abbey drops to 8-4, 4-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maxwell, the only BAC player to top double figures in kills, also added three digs and four block assists.
- Jake Somers tallied seven kills with Andrew Kohut and Brian Long each adding six.
- Brennan Davis registered 32 assists and seven digs, both team highs.
- North Greenville outhit The Abbey .298 to .216.
- NGU led most of the first set and was up 21-19 before a 5-0 run set up three set points for The Abbey. The visitors saved each of them and added the final two points for five straight of their own and a 26-24 win.
- In the second set, The Abbey again held a lead into the final stages, the last at 19-17. North Greenville took four straight points, three on serves, to lead 21-19, then scored four of the next seven for a 25-22 victory.
- The final set also took extra points to complete as North Greenville rallied from three late deficits. It trailed 23-21 but scored back to back points, saved a set point with two in a row, then scored the final three points of the match after BAC opened a 26-25 advantage.
- Belmont Abbey continues its homestand after 10 days off. The Crusaders host league-leader Barton on March 1 at the Wheeler Center.