BANNER ELK, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell tallied 22 kills Wednesday night, helping Belmont Abbey come away with a tight 3-2 (25-23, 25-27, 25-27, 25-22, 15-13) victory at Lees-McRae in Conference Carolinas men's volleyball action Wednesday night. With the victory, the Crusaders improve to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maxwell hit .224 overall with 11 errors on 49 attempts.
- Andrew Kohut added nine kills and six digs, while Jake Somers and Brian Long added seven kills each.
- Brennan Davis tallied 30 kills and five digs, while Bryce Sullivan added 16 assists.
- The teams split the first four games with Belmont Abbey scoring 25 in each of them.
- In the deciding fifth set, Belmont Abbey broke an 11-11 tie with four straight points. Lees-McRae saved two match points, but after a timeout, Maxwell ended the match with a kill from Davis.
- Belmont Abbey hosts cross-town rival Queens on Friday. The match begins at 7 p.m.