BELMONT, N.C. - Kent Shiell earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory in singles play, as a 6-3 doubles victory, and the Belmont Abbey Men's Tennis team earned a 7-0 shutout over Southern Wesleyan University this afternoon. With the victory, The Abbey improves to 11-12 on the year, including 5-2 in Conference Carolinas play. Southern Wesleyan is now 3-13 overall, and 0-8 in conference play. The Crusaders have now shut out three of their past four opponents.
How it Happened
- Zachary Blythe and Henrique Leal got the first victory of the day, a 6-2 win at #1 doubles. Shiell then paired up with Holden Ballard for a 6-3 victory at #2 doubles
- Shiell earned a quick 6-2, 6-1 victory at #3 singles
- Christopher Hansen, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory at #4 singles, improved to 7-1 on the year in singles play, including 6-0 in conference
Belmont Abbey 7, Southern Wesleyan 0
1. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Peter Kovats (SWU) 6-1, 6-4
2. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Sarvesh Maria (SWU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Kent Shiell (BAC) def. Joseph Olatunji (SWU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Christopher Hansen (BAC) def. Ben Smith (SWU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) won by default
6. Kevin Yarzagaray (BAC) won by default
1. Peter Kovats / Sarvesh Maria (SWU) def. Zachary Blythe / Henrique Leal (BAC) 6-2
2. Holden Ballard / Kent Shiell (BAC) def. Joseph Olatunji / Ben Smith (SWU) 6-3
3. Jacob Andress / Christopher Hansen (BAC) won by default
Belmont Abbey will host North Greenville University on Saturday, April 13 in an 11 a.m. contest.