BELMONT, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team swept the doubles play, then took four of six singles matches, resulting in a 5-2 road victory over Catawba in men's tennis action on Saturday. The match was one of two on the day's schedule for the Crusaders, with Division I Radford taking a 7-0 decision on the Reidy Courts. The Abbey now stands at 6-8 on the season.
How it Happened
- The Crusaders earned 6-3 wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles to take the double point, but also gained a 7-6 victory at No. 1
- Carlos Nolasco put The Abbey up 2-0 with a win at No. 5, then Zachary Blythe earned a win at No. 1 for a 3-0 lead.
- After Catawba scored a win at No. 3, George Barfoot clinched the team match with a 7-5, 6-0 victory at No. 2.
- The most competitive match of the Radford match came at No. 2 singles, where Jacob Andress captured eight games in a 6-4, 6-4 setback.
- No. 1 doubles also saw a battle as the Highlanders captured a 6-4 decision over Andress and Tomas Pardo 6-4.
Belmont Abbey 5, Catawba 2
1. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Jack Joel (CATAWBA) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
2. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Luca Picci (CATAWBA) 7-5, 6-0
3. Ryen Reid (CATAWBA) def. Kent Shiell (BAC) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Cason Hiers (CATAWBA) def. Bailey Horne (BAC) 5-7, 6-3, 14-12
5. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Adam Rocko (CATAWBA) 6-1, 6-2
6. Wlayimer Jimenez (BAC) def. Darius Perkins (CATAWBA) 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
1. George Barfoot/Bailey Horne (BAC) def. Luca Picci/Ryen Reid (CATAWBA) 7-6
2. Zachary Blythe/Kent Shiell (BAC) def. Cason Hiers/Jack Joel (CATAWBA) 6-3
3. Wlayimer Jimenez/Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Adam Rocko/Darius Perkins (CATAWBA) 6-3
Radford 7, Belmont Abbey 0
1. Yevhen Sirous (RAD) def. Kevin Yarzagaray (BAC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rodrigo Magalhaes (RAD) def. Jacob Andress (BAC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alexandros Caldwell (RAD) def. Tomas Pardo (BAC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Michiel Meekers (RAD) def. Holden Ballard (BAC) 6-1, 6-3
5. PO Lassalle (RAD) def. George Moore (BAC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Matko Varga (RAD) def. Blaise Waters (BAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Yevhen Sirous/Rodrigo Magalhaes (RAD) def. Jacob Andress/Tomas Pardo (BAC) 6-4
2. Alexandros Caldwell/Michiel Meekers (RAD) def. Holden Ballard/Jordan Laner (BAC) 6-3
3. Matko Varga/Andres Silva (RAD) def. Mike Nguyen/Blaise Waters (BAC) 6-1
Belmont Abbey faces USC Sumter on Wednesday in an exhibition match.