BELMONT, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team competed in several tournaments and two dual matches this fall season.
They knocked off No. 19 Bluefield State in a tightly contested 4-3 victory. Junior George Barfoot beat his opponent Arthur Figueire (who won the Atlantic regional singles title and advanced to the national singles semi-finals this fall) at #2 singles in straight sets 6-1, 6-4, and freshman Kent Shiell clinched the victory with a three-set victory in singles. The men's team also followed up that result by beating the University of Charleston WV 7-0.
The Men's team competed in a variety of tournaments this fall including the Belmont Abbey Shootout, the Belmont Abbey Invitational, the Wingate Invitational, the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational, the Methodist Invitational, the NC Wesleyan Invitational, and the NCAA Regional Championships.
- Belmont Abbey Shootout- Thomas Rowzie/Andres Astudillo def. Lander's team of Rossin/DeNegri 7-6 in doubles. George Barfoot and Blaise Waters also recorded straight-set singles victories.
- Belmont Abbey Invitational- Bailey Horne def. Montevallo's Daniel del Val (who advanced to the back draw final of his regional championship) 6-4, 6-4. Junior Jacob Andress also logged a win against Lenoir Rhyne's Mauricio Hernandez in three sets.
- Wingate Invitational- Freshman Christopher Wejs def. Lenoir Rhyne's #1 Player Hamed Gandouz in straight sets. Freshmen Jordan Laner and Holden Ballard also went undefeated (3-0) in their singles flight.
- NC Wesleyan- Seniors Tomas Pardo and Michal Rapsik defeated last year's nationally ranked doubles tandem of Middleton/Ferreira from Mount Olive. Kevin Yarzagaray and Daniel Astudillo made the finals of their doubles flight. Blaise Waters and Mike Nguyen finished third in their doubles flight.
- Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational- Three players made the main draw singles quarterfinals- Seth Worley, Tomas Pardo, and Ryan James, and Kent Shiell made the main draw A singles semi-finals without dropping a set before falling 11-9 in the third set to Chowan's Mariano Yeh.
- ITA Regional Championship- All four men's players made the second round of the main draw in both singles and doubles (Christopher Wejs, Zachary Blythe, George Barfoot, and Kent Shiell.) Wejs defeated Emmanuel's Thembo Makhanya in straight sets before falling to the fifth seed from Lander Eirik Groner. Barfoot defeated Mount Olive's Pablo Safont in straight sets before falling to the ninth seed from Queens, NC. Blythe defeated Hamed Gandouz from Lenoir-Rhyne in straight sets, and then defeated Wingate's Matt Jones before falling to Lincoln Memorial in three sets in the Round of 32. Shiell won his first Round match against Tusculum College, then beat the ninth seed, Alvaro Gil from USC-Aiken before falling in the Round of 32 to Tales Silva from USC-Aiken.