The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team went 1-1 today to begin its Spring 2017 season. The team fell to Lenoir-Rhyne 6-3 in Hickory, then swept Greensboro College 9-0 in Greensboro.
Belmont Abbey had set points at both #2 and #5 singles.
1. Hamed Gandouz (LR) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Tomas Hons (LR) def. Grant Goldin (BAC) 6-0, 7-5
3. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Shane O'Dea (LR) 6-0, 6-2
4. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Alex Ayguavives (LR) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tales Miranda (LR) def. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) 7-6, 6-3
6. James Delaney (BAC) def. Paul Lenz (LR) 6-2, 6-3
1. Tomas Hons/Shane O'Dea (LR) def. Juan Baez/James Delaney (BAC) 8-3
2. Hamed Gandouz/Paul Lenz (LR) def. Grant Goldin/Carlos Nolasco (BAC) 8-6
3. Alex Crespo Sanchez/Tales Miranda (LR) def. George Barfoot/Jacob Andress (BAC) 8-5
At Greensboro College, the Abbey swept the Pride 9-0. Highlighting this match was the Abbey did not lose one game; each game was 8-0.
1. Nikhil Reddy (BAC) def. Carlos Barragan (GC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Joseph Horne (BAC) def. Adam Morgan (GC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Chip Moore (BAC) def. Justin Kimball (GC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Mike Nguyen (BAC) def. Jervius Garcia (GC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Adam Nesnow (BAC) def. Warren Washington (GC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Thomas Rowzie (BAC) def. Chris Grissom (GC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Michael Rapsik/Tomas Pardo (BAC) def. Adam Morgan/Justin Kimball (GC) 8-0
2. Chip Moore/Thomas Rowzie (BAC) def. Carlos Barragan/ Warren Washington (GC) 8-0
3. Isaiah Cole/Liam Curtin (BAC) def. Chris Grissom/ Jervius Garcia (GC) 8-0
Head Coach Michael Salomon offered the following thoughts on the day: "I have to give a lot of credit to the Lenoir-Rhyne coaching staff as they had their players well prepared for the doubles matches and outplayed us across the board on that front. We split the singles matches (3-3), and had set points in 2 of the 3 matches we lost. I am excited to have us keep building on this experience, and to carry that forward as we move to playing both nationally and regionally ranked opponents this upcoming week."