TIGERVILLE, SC – North Greenville University (NGU) claimed four of five singles matches, as NGU defeated Belmont Abbey, 5-4, in a Conference Carolinas match, Saturday afternoon at the Vance Tennis Complex in Tigerville, SC. With the win, the NGU improve to 6-5, 4-0 in Conference Carolinas, while Belmont Abbey drops to 6-16, 2-5 in league play.
The Abbey jumped out to an early lead after claiming victories in two of three doubles matches. At #1 flight, the tandem of Juan Baez and James Delaney claimed and 8-7 (3) victory over Sergio Araujo and Jose Gomez. While at #2 flight, Laine Harrett and Grant Goldin claimed an easy 8-2 victory over Alejandeo de la Torre and Marcelo Yshikawa.
In singles' competition, the Crusaders took victories in both #2 and #5 slots. Delaney finished the day with a 2-0 record, as he defeated Araujo in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. Junior Eduardo Escobar claimed a come-from-behind three set victory over Marcelo Yshikawa. Escobar lost the first set, 3-6, then came back to claim the next two, 6-4 and 6-0.
Belmont Abbey returns to action Saturday, April 9, against Conference Carolinas foe, King University at the Michael Reidy Tennis Center on the campus of Belmont Abbey College. First serve is set for 1:00 p.m.
NORTH GREENVILLE 5, BELMONT ABBEY 4
1. Sjors van Eck (NGU) def. Juan Baez (BAC), 6-1 , 6-1
2. James Delaney (BAC) def. Sergio Araujo (NGU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Jose Gomez (NGU) def. Grant Goldin (BAC), 6-3, 1-6,6-3
4. Alejandeo de la Torre (NGU) def. Laine Harrett (BAC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Eduardo Escobar (BAC) def. Marcelo Yshikawa (NGU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Edmundo Torres (NGU) def. Tomas Pardo (BAC) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
1. Juan Baez/James Delaney (BAC) def. Sergio Araujo / Jose Gomez (NGU) 8- 7 (3)
2. Laine Harrett /Grant Goldin (BAC) def. Alejandeo de la Torre / Marcelo Yshikawa (NGU) 8-2
3. Edmundo Torres / Sjors van Eck (NGU) def. Tomas Pardo/ Eduardo Escobar (BAC) 8-5