BELMONT, N.C. - Geinner Duque scored the lone goal for the Belmont Abbey men's soccer team, as they tied Lees-McRae 1-1 this afternoon. The tie puts The Abbey at 5-4-3 on the season, including a 4-1-3 Conference Carolinas mark. Lees-McRae is now 6-5-2 overall, and 2-3-2 against conference opponents.
How It Happened
- Both teams came out shooting right from the start, with the Crusaders taking three in the opening 13 minutes
- In the 27th minute, the Bobcats scored a goal to go up 1-0, which was also the halftime score
- Belmont Abbey continued to keep the pressure on the Bobcats with a lot of shooting, and in the 87th minute Duque tied the match at one off a pass from Nando Morales
- The Crusader defensive unit, led by Thomas Murray, limited Lees-McRae to 12 shots on the day, including just one in each overtime period
- The Abbey took 10 corner kicks on the day, to the Bobcats' three
The Crusaders will welcome Mount Olive on Wednesday, October 17 for a 4 p.m. contest.