BELMONT, N.C. - Sean Hanrahan scored three goals, including the game-winner in double overtime, and the #4-ranked Crusader lacrosse team got a 14-13 victory over the #19-ranked Rockhurst Hawks. With the victory, The Abbey moves to 6-0 on the season. Rockhurst dipped to 3-1.
How it Happened
- Hanrahan only needed a minute into the game to put the Crusaders up 1-0. Throughout the first quarter, the two teams traded goals, with neither team leading by more than one. Rockhurst led 4-3 when the period expired
- Noah Haas begin the second with a man-up goal to tie the game at four. Later in the period, Austin Hasen scored off a pass from Haas, and scored again as the quarter ended. Belmont Abbey only gave up one Rockhurst goal in the quarter and led 6-5 at halftime
- Rockhurst took a 9-6 lead in the third before three Abbey goals in a span of 1:31 tied the game at nine. Then Liam Osborne capped off the quarter with a goal as the period ended to give the Crusaders a 10-9 lead heading into the fourth quarter
- The Hawks scored twice in the fourth before James Booth set up Vinny Vultaggio for a goal, then found the back of the net himself with 4:12 left in the period. Osborne scored at the 1:23 mark to tie the game at 13 before heading into overtime
- The Abbey defense only gave three shots in the overtime period. Neither team scored, however, and the game went into double overtime
- With 2:20 remaining in the second OT period, Hanrahan found the back of the net, and The Abbey sealed off the 14-13 victory
- On the day, Hanrahan scored three goals
- Osborne scored three goals and handed out two assists
- On the defensive side, four Crusaders each caused two Rockhurst turnovers. Bryce Gifford made 15 saves in goal
Belmont Abbey will host Queens University on Saturday, March 9 at 12 p.m.