Aug 31, 2018
ATLANTA, Ga. -- The Belmont Abbey men's cycling team opened its 2018 track season this weekend with a successful trip to the Dick Lane Velodrome.
Friday Night (Need for Speed Night)
- Belmont Abbey placed four riders in the 10-man sprint tournament -- Nick Oestreich, Nat Worcester, Johnny Kuhfahl and Collin Tellechea. Oestreich won the event, while Kuhfahl was fifth.
- There were two scratch races for the A Field. In the five-lap event, the Crusaders swept the first four spots -- Kuhfahl took first, with Worcester, Trey Hedgecock and Collin Tellechea following in order. In the 10-lap race, Worcester with Kuhfahl, Tellechea and Hedgecock directly behind.
- Lance Abshire won the 10-lap B Race, with Charles Daniel third.
- Oestreich captured the wheel race, while Kuhfahl won the Miss and out competition.
- The cumulative success in the individual races during the weekend put four Crusaders in the top five of the Omnium standings -- Oestreich first, Kuhfahl second, Worcester fourth and Hedgecock fifth.
Quoting Coach Dalzell
- "Our team raced well this weekend with both the men and women representing the Abbey in a positive light. From results on the track to teamwork with everyone's gear/bike, it was a great showing for our team. We have a couple things to address before nationals, but we are confident that we will work hard this upcoming week and be prepared for the demands. The main takeaway from this weekend was how well everyone focused and looked to help their teammates before each of their races. All Hands on Deck!"