Garrett's Free Throw With 0.3 Left Sinks North Greenville, 90-89

Garrett's Free Throw With 0.3 Left Sinks North Greenville, 90-89

Belmont Abbey junior guard Jonathon Garrett sank the go-ahead free throw with 0.3 left, to cap a 16-4 Abbey run in the final 4:04 and erase an 11 point deficit as the Crusaders men's basketball team snapped a three game losing streak with a 90-89 win this evening at the Wheeler Center. The win ups the Abbey's record to 7-11 overall and 3-5 in Conference Carolinas, while North Greenville drops to 12-6 overall and 5-3 in league play as its five game winning streak was snapped.

Belmont Abbey faced an 11 point deficit four times, the last coming at 85-74 with 4:21 to go, but the Crusaders fired off a 16-4 run to claim the win.

Micah Parker gave North Greenville an 85-74 lead with 4:21 to play, but that would be the final Crusaders field goal of the game as the Abbey defense turned up the pressure, forcing three turnovers while North Greenville missed its last three shots.

After Parker's jumper, the Abbey scored the next six points to close the deficit to 85-80 with 3:21 left.

Two North Greenville free throws 25 seconds later pushed the lead back to seven at 87-80, but the Abbey charged back.

Justin Kuhlman swished a three pointer to cut the North Greenville lead to 87-83. An Abbey foul on the next North Greenville trip turned into two missed free throws, and Chris Davis kept the run alive with a layup with 1:23 to play that closed the lead to 87-85.

With 45 seconds left, after a North Greenville missed shot and Ray Chen rebound, Davis was fouled going to the rim. His two free throws knotted the game for the eleventh time.

The defense gained a huge stop on the next North Greenville possession. Davis swatted away a Keith Johnson layup, Drexler Clark grabbed the rebound and raced the length of the floor and banked home a reverse layup with 20 seconds left to give Belmont Abbey its first lead since the 3:43 mark of the first half.

On the ensuing North Greenville trip down the floor, Chen fouled Chris Dean, who was under the basket all alone. Chen grabbed just enough of Dean's arm to prevent a traditional three point play.

With nine seconds left, Dean made both free throws to tie the game for the twelfth and final time.

North Greenville called timeout and after the pause, Ryan Conrad caught the inbounds pass and dribbled the length of the floor. From the left elbow, his jumper from 15 feet was long, but Darryl Durham and a North Greenville defender both grabbed the rebound. The arrow was in favor of Belmont Abbey, which took a timeout with 2.8 seconds left and the ball underneath the North Greenville basket.

On the inbounds pass, Garrett lost the ball but was fouled going up for the final shot, with 0.3 left on the clock.

After a stoppage to determine how much time should be on the clock, Garrett swished the first to give the Abbey a 90-89 lead. He intentionally missed the second shot which North Greenville rebounded and immediately called timeout.

Down by a point and 94 feet away from the basket, North Greenville's last ditch pass reached only to halfcourt and no shot was attempted as the Abbey earned the win.

Davis led the Abbey with 19 points, 17 coming in the second half, 15 in the final 12 minutes, including a thunderous dunk. He also had four assists, four rebounds and a blocked shot.

Chen added 17 points, while Clark and Durham netted 16 and 15, respectively. Garrett posted 11.

Belmont Abbey shot 51.7 percent (30-58) from the field and made six of 13 from three-point range and 24-32 from the line.