BELMONT, N.C. -- The Belmont Abbey Crusaders completed their first Conference Carolinas sweep of the season defeating Southern Wesleyan in both games Saturday. Jakob Rolly had four hits in the day with two home runs, a triple, and a double driving in six runs. Ben Gobbel recorded five hits with an RBI and two runs scored. The Abbey improves to 15-18 on the Yer with a 7-9 league record. Southern Wesleyan moves to 12-18 on the year with a 4-10 conference record.
Belmont Abbey 9, SWU 7
- Belmont Abbey rallied from 6-5 deficit with three runs in the fourth to take the opener.
- Jakob Rolly went three-for-four with six runs batted in, while scoring twice. He had a two-run triple in the first and a two-run double in the fourth.
- Rolly fell just a single shy of the cycle as he hit a two-run homer in the third.
- Ben Gobbel also tallied three hits and scored twice, while Mason Dodd had a pair of hits and an RBI.
- Belmont Abbey jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first, then answered a Warrior run in the third with two of its own in the bottom of the frame.
- SWU answered back with five runs in the top of the fourth to take the lead, but the Crusaders struck right back. An error allowed the tying run and put runners on the corners before Rolly found the gap in left center.
- Each team had a run-scoring single in the sixth to make the final 9-7.
- Sam Luchansky improved to 5-1 with the win. He allowed seven runs -- just one earned -- in 5.1 innings as the starter. Parker MacPhail picked up his second save by throwing the final 1.1 innings of relief
Belmont Abbey 15, SWU 4
- The Crusaders struck for 17 hits in the contest as 10 different players recorded a hit.
- Belmont Abbey plated a run in each of the first four innings, scoring six in the first and a single run in the second, third, and fourth.
- The Abbey struck for four more runs in the seventh and added two in the eighth.
- Ben Sneider went 3-for-5 with a triple in the first inning.
- Rolly hit his eighth home run in the second inning.
- Kale Rhame hit his second home run of the season in the fourth.
- Pete Baddick doubled in a run in the eighth.
- Richard DeLaCruz, Gobbel, Dodd, Sneider, Rhame, and Matty Bapst all had multi-hit games.
- Crusader starter Sam High earned his second win of the year throwing 7.0 innings striking out six and not allowing a walk.
- Blake Waldren and Jimmy Hartley threw an inning in relief to close out the Abbey win.
The Crusaders will host Lander on Tuesday at 6 pm.