SUMTER, S.C. - The Belmont Abbey women's tennis team advanced to the Conference Carolinas semifinals for the first time in modern history Friday, defeating No. 5-seed Mount Olive 5-2 at the Palmetto Tennis Center.
The Abbey got off to a strong start, sweeping the doubles action. Darian DeFrench and Erika Dorn posted an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles, before Erika Noblett and Morgan Zahnd earned an 8-3 decision at No. 3. Teagan McNamara and Riley Ellingson put the Crusaders up 3-0 in the match by taking an 8-4 win at No. 1.
Mount Olive got on the scoreboard by winning the No. 2 singles match, but Noblett pushed the lead to 4-1 with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 6. After the Trojans earned a second point at No. 1 singles, Alex Weber ended the match with 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 5.
The fourth-seeded Crusaders advance to a matchup tomorrow at 9 a.m. against No. 1 seed Chowan.
Belmont Abbey 5, Mount Olive 2
1. Sonja Gartner (UMO) def. Teagan McNamara (BAC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Areej Fareh (UMO) def. Darian DeFrench (BAC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Riley Ellingson (BAC) vs. Nicole La Chappelle (UMO) 2-6, 6-4 unfinished
4. Jennifer Byrd (UMO) vs. Morgan Nguyen (BAC) 6-3, unfinished
5. Alex Weber (BAC) def. Emma Burroughs (UMO) 6-4, 6-1
6. Erika Noblett (BAC) def. Julissa Quintanilla (UMO) 6-0, 6-1
order of finish: 2,6,1,5
1. Riley Ellingson / Teagan McNamara (BAC) def. Areej Fareh / Sonja Gartner (UMO), 8-4
2. Darian DeFrench / Erica Dorn (BAC) def. Jennifer Byrd / Nicole La Chappelle (UMO), 8-2
3. Erika Noblett / Morgan Zahnd (BAC) def. Emma Burroughs / Julissa Quintanilla (UMO), 8-3
order of finish: 2,3,1