BELMONT, N.C. - Manuela Fungate posted a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds, as Belmont Abbey came back in the fourth quarter to earn a 72-64 victory over Coker College this evening. It was the final contest of the Conference Carolinas/SAC Showdown as The Abbey improved to 1-1 on the season. Coker is now 0-2.
How it Happened
- Fungate scored seven points in the first quarter, including 5-for-8 from the free throw line. Coker led 19-13 after the period
- The defense came up strong in the second, holding the Cobras to 7-for-23 in the period. Coker led 38-24 at halftime
- Fungate again was a force for the Crusaders in the third, scoring each of the team's first six points of the period
- The Abbey shot 53.3% in the third quarter
- After the Cobras went ahead by four in the fourth, the Crusaders forced Coker into a 4:20 scoreless drought. During that span, Belmont Abbey went on a 12-0 run for a 67-59 lead
- The Crusaders made five free throws in the last 22 seconds of the contest, including four from Hannah Roney, to seal the 72-64 win
- Fungate's 22 points and 10 boards were both game highs. Maria Kuhlman added 15 points on 4-for-6 shooting
Belmont Abbey will welcome Benedict College to the Wheeler Center next Wednesday, November 14, for 6 p.m. contest.