BELMONT, N.C. - Sophomore Irelynn Davisson scored 12 points in tonight's season opener for both teams, but it was Tusculum who came out with a 64-49 win. It was the first of a two-day Conference Carolinas/SAC Showdown hosted by Belmont Abbey.
How it Happened
- Hannah Roney led off the game with a three-pointer. Davisson nailed another three off a pass from Roney to give The Abbey an early 10-3 lead. The Crusaders led throughout the first quarter, and ended the period with a 19-18 advantage
- At halftime the Pioneers led 37-26
- A three-pointer by Alexis Schulz brought the Crusaders back to within four at 41-37 at the 4:05 mark of the third
- Belmont Abbey converted some free throw opportunities to keep it close, but trailed 48-40 by the end of the period
- Manuela Fungate scored each of the first four Abbey points of the fourth
- In the end, Tusculum won the contest 64-49
- Fungate grabbed a game-high eight rebounds
- The Crusaders held the Pioneers to 2-for-11 from 3-point range, while Belmont Abbey made six 3's
Belmont Abbey will wrap up its participation in the Showdown tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. when it hosts Coker College.