BELMONT, N.C. - Morgan Smith went 4-for-7 in today's season-opening doubleheader against St. Andrews University. The Abbey won game 1 6-4, while taking the second contest 17-0 in five innings.
How it Happened
- In game 1, Claire Doyle singled in Kelkcee Fulton for the first Abbey score of the season
- The Crusaders went on to score five runs in the sixth inning, for a 6-4 comeback win. In that inning, Payton Whitley homered to center field to start the frame
- Doyle tallied her second RBI as she doubled Hailey Gass home
- Smith would cap off the game with a single to center that scored Brianna Embler
- In the nightcap, Embler scored the first Abbey run of the game when Melissa Neyhouse singled up the middle in the first
- Neyhouse then hit a 3-RBI double in the second, before Smith homered, giving the Crusaders a commanding 6-0 lead
- In the third, Smith hit her second home run of the day, this one a 3-run shot to center field
- The Crusader offense continued to explode in the fourth, scoring eight runs. Highlighting this inning was a 2-RBI hit by Smith that scored Embler and Alexis Rogers
- On the day, Smith went 4-for-7 with three runs scored and eight RBIs. Katie Allison went 3-for-4 with three runs and 3 RBIs
- On the mound, Annabeth threw a complete game 1, giving up just two earned runs and just one walk. In the second game, Ivorie Maltby tossed four shutout innings, with four strikeouts, while Jordanna Shorts finished off the fifth
The Crusaders will go to Wingate University on Monday for a doubleheader that will begin at 1 p.m.