MT. OLIVE, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team closed out its regular season today, losing 6-3 at Mt. Olive. The Abbey finishes the year with a 19-12 overall record and a 9-1 conference record. The Trojans improved to 13-3 on the season and 9-1 in conference play.
Blythe also had the strongest performance in singles competition, as he won his #5 match 6-1, 6-4. Freshman Carlos Nolasco also got the Crusaders a victory, as he took the #6 spot 7-5, 6-4.
1. Ogulcan Deniz (UMO) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Jose Cortijos Planas (UMO) def. Grant Goldin (BAC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Martin Moser (UMO) def. James Delaney (BAC) 6-3, 0-6, 6-0
4. Martim Sousa (UMO) def. George Barfoot (BAC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Jack Middleton (UMO) 6-1, 6-4
6. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Jacob Clarke (UMO) 7-5, 6-4
1. Jose Cortijos Planas/Martim Sousa (UMO) def. George Barfoot/James Delaney (BAC) 8-3
2. Zachary Blythe/Grant Goldin (BAC) def. Ogulcan Deniz/Martin Moser (UMO) 8-6
3. Juan Arbelaez/Jack Middleton (UMO) def. Tomas Pardo/Michal Rapsik (BAC) 8-5
Head Coach Michael Salomon offered the following comments on today's action: "We came up against a team that had us in their sights and came with everything they had. When you are in first place, you have to get used to getting the best effort from each team you play and Mt. Olive stepped up and delivered on that today. Hats off to them as they outplayed us in both singles and doubles. We fought our hearts out, but in the end, they had the edge today. We're really looking forward to conferences next week, and would love the chance to play at the level we were forced to play at today."
Belmont Abbey will next play in the Conference Carolinas tournament on Friday, April 21 in Sumter, SC. The opponent has yet to be determined.